If you feel that making the bed starts the day off right, or if you need to develop the bed-making habit, these simple steps might help.
STEP 1 – Gather the items below if not already on the bed.
- Fitted and flat sheet
- Spread (i.e. blanket, comforter or duvet)
STEP 2– Clear the bed down to the mattress or to the fitted sheet if you’re making up a bed you just vacated. To put on a fitted sheet, pull the elasticized corners over both corners on one side of the bed, then both on the other side. If needed, lift the mattress slightly before pulling the elastic over each corner.
STEP 3 –Spread the flat sheet smoothly over the mattress. Patterns should face down. The top of the sheet should be even with the top of the mattress and centered to hang evenly over both sides. Follow these steps on both sides at the foot of the bed to achieve what is known as a hospital corner:
- Tuck the fabric that hangs over the foot of the bed securely under the mattress; tuck the end of the sheet as far under between the mattress and box springs as its length allows.
- At the side hem, pick up the edge of the top sheet 16 inches from the foot of the bed. Lift up and fold this section of sheet over the top of the mattress to a 45-degree angle from the corner.
- Holding the folded piece of sheet in place on top of the mattress, neatly tuck in any sheet hanging below the mattress on the side of the bed.
- Then, let the folded piece of sheet on top of the mattress drop down. If you prefer, you may tuck the hanging edge of the sheet between the mattress and box springs along the entire side of the bed from foot to head.
STEP 4– Place the spread on top, making sure to spread it evenly over the bed, with the same amount of overhang on each side. If the pillows are going under the spread, leave enough fabric at the top to cover them. If the pillows are going on top, place the top of the spread about six inches below the head of the bed and fold the sheet back over the top edge of the spread.
STEP 5– Prepare the pillows. First, fluff each one by grabbing it on either side and squeezing the sides together then releasing several times in an accordion-like motion. Insert each pillow into a clean case then place it flat at the head of the bed just touching the headboard.
STEP 6 – Place any decorative cushions or pillows you might have in an upright position at the head of the bed, leaning against the sleeping pillows for support.